Nominations accepted until May 15, 2023.
Students: To apply for this fellowship, you must be nominated by a faculty member.
Goals of the AOC Fellows Program
- Provide 4 months of funding for students who are engaged in biomedical research projects that impact community health.
- Provide professional development for students in biomedical sciences who are engaged in social justice work
- Connect students to a wider network of professionals and students working to support social justice in biomedical science
How will the AOC Fellows program benefit me in my career?
- Support your career trajectory in the biomedical field (e.g., Master’s, PhD, MD/PhD, MD, MPH)
- Supply financial support for academic and professional development activities
- Provide networking, peer mentoring, and community building
- $5,000 for the semester
Program Requirements and Expectations
- Participate in one AOC workshop a semester
- Complete 4 reflections through iLearn
- Culminating report back project (i.e. final reflections, social media post)
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or master’s student at SFSU in a biomedical major, or recently graduated from SFSU within 1 year.
- Intent to pursue graduate or professional school within 1-2 years
- Interested in biomedical research relevant to community health
- Nominated by BUILD faculty (defined as faculty at SFSU or UCSF conducting community-engaged research/projects in biomedical science)
- Committed to social justice through the use of science
- Currently involved or previously participated in supporting community-engaged biomedical research.
- After acceptance, the application can be renewed for up to one year or 4 semesters
- AoC Fellows may re-apply for a second year of funding
Guidelines for BUILD Faculty Letter of Support
- Letter of support should include how the work the nominated student will be supporting is relevant to local community health, including:
- Interest in biomedical research relevant to community health
- Commitment to social justice through the use of science
- Role in project(s) supporting community-engaged research
How to Apply
1. SF BUILD Faculty Nominations - Rolling acceptance for Academic Year 2022-2023, Sept 9th to May 15th, 2023
Nominations accepted each term until cap is met.
2. Student Nominee Acceptance due 1 week from award notification
Student nominees send acceptance of nomination and CV to Carol Umanzor at firstname.lastname@example.org.